cambes-en-plein War Cemetery
|Identified Graves - 223|
The Allied offensive in north-western Europe began with the Normandy landings of 6 June 1944. More than half of those buried in Cambes-en-Plaine War Cemetery served with the South Staffordshire and North Staffordshire regiments, and died in the bitter fighting on 8 and 9 July during the attack on Caen. The greater part of that city was captured on 10 July. The cemetery contains 224 Second World War burials.
The graves here largely reflect the fighting north of Caen in July 1944 and units from the 59th Division particularly dominate this cemetery.
Cambes-en-Plaine is a village 7 kilometres north-west of Caen. Take the road from Caen towards Courseulles-sur-Mer, the D79, and turn off to the right 6 kilometres north of Caen on the D79B. This will bring you to the village centre of Cambes-en-Plaine opposite the church. Turn left towards the north side of the village and turn right after 500 metres. The War Cemetery will then be found after 350 metres on the right hand side.
ŠPaul Reed 2007