CASERTA WAR CEMETERY
Take the autostrada A2 to Naples, and leave it at the Caserta Nord exit. Proceed to the first set of traffic lights and then turn left and continue along the main street eastward for 2.2 kilometres, past the Royal Palace (Palazzo Reale). Just after the Royal Palace, about 0.2 kilometres, turn left at the main intersection (a piazza with round corners) and head north for 2.0 kilometres, following this street along the eastern edge of the Royal Gardens. After 2.0 kilometres, turn right and proceed directly westward for 0.8 kilometres, then turn southward down an incline. After a distance of 0.3 kilometres there will be a large Communal Cemetery located on the left; proceed to the main gates and the CWGC plot will be found at the end of this road. Cars should be parked within the Communal Cemetery grounds for security reasons.
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Allied objectives were to draw German troops from the Russian front and more particularly from France, where an offensive was planned for the following year. The Royal Palace at Caserta served as headquarters for the Allied armies in Italy for the greater part of the duration of the Italian campaign and the 2nd General Hospital was at Caserta from December 1943 until September 1945. Some of those buried here died in the hospital, others as prisoners of war before the Allied invasion. There are also a few burials from the October 1943 fighting on the River Volturno, which lies not far away to the north. Caserta War Cemetery contains 768 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.
Wall feature in Caserta War Cemetery
ŠPaul Reed 2006