CAUQUIGNY 5th/6th JUNE 1944
This tiny hamlet just across the causeway from La Fičre and the Iron Mike Memorial, saw bitter fighting on the days following the American airborne landings around St Mere Eglise on the night of 5th/6th June 1944. Soldiers from 2nd Battalion 507th Parachure Infantry Regiment (PIR) crossed the causeway and captured the hamlet, until the Germans counter-attacked with armour. Shells struck the church, and it was almost in ruins by the end of the battle.
A plaque commemorating 507th PIR has been placed on the outer-wall of the church and inside is an information panel about the fighting here.
ŠPAUL REED 2002-2006